Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The (not so) Greatest Show on Earth - Harbor's first trip to the circus

.. was a bust! 

I was happy to bring him. There isn't much offered for children (especially toddlers) in this isolated area in Maine so I figured we may as well jump on the opportunity. I do have to say that I am very thankful that the military got in for free, and appreciate it very much.

However, it took us forever to get in to park. The stupid light off the exit was only green for about 10 seconds. I think 1 maybe 2 cars got to get on the main road everytime it turned green. This really didn't matter because we were a half hour early, and Harbor was napping in the car (yay!). You would think with this being a big thing for the area, they would have had cops (or someone) controlling traffic. I try to remind myself that common sense and resources are scarce.

As we pulled into parking we noticed a man fighting with a protester. As I tried to see her sign I noticed she was protesting against animal cruelty. The empathy side of me immediately sided with her, and the animals and I began to feel guilty. 

We get in, and it is just a mass mosh pit with no real direction after you get your tickets. We just followed like sheep all the way up and up and up to the tip top seats. We sat with Harbor, and I felt bad for anyone who wasn't a half hour like us. I couldn't imagine being any higher! 

The show was over 2 hours long! There were some cute parts, but overall it was really dull. At first Harbor was cautious and laid on me but then we got into the music and the lights. It was more of a performance show then a circus. They had no elephants, no lions or tigers. They had about 10 tiny monkeys that were even tinier from the tippy top. Part of the act included the man slapping the monkey on the back and the monkey running over and "punching" the guy in the face. Chase and I both immediately thought of the protester, I turned to him and said why is he hitting the monkey and Chase' face just looked guilty, and I said I'm ready to go (it was over 2 hours into it and Harbor had enjoyed his balloon more then anything that was taking place).

Right when we decided to leave (we had been waiting for an elephant, anything that resembled a real circus..) the monkey act had ended. We rushed out of there as quick as possible to avoid the pile up in the parking lot.

I guess it was no Barnum and Baily's but it was Harbor's first trip to the circus, and whenever he smiles I do as well!




No comments: